17 August 2006

Slip sliding away...

We knew that we would probably see some weather over this side of the hills, especially being this close to the sea. But I don't think I'd considered the possibility of seeing the hillside in front of me crawling across the road in a metre high slip!! And no, I'm not suggesting this is anywhere near as bad as those poor people in Kelson (up North) who watched as their houses slipped into a big hole that the rain opened up, but there is something deeply distburbing about watching your landscape change around you, literally!

Molly and I were sort of ready for it, we'd watched a little slip happen on our way to the pool on Tuesday, just a tumble of rocks and a bit of mud splashing down the side of the hills at Taunton Gardens. There were a couple of trees down on Dyers Pass that made for some hairy lane switching on the way up. All this accompanied by driving rain and we were having the best fun, NOT!

It was on the way home that the slip crept up on us, just before Charteris Bay, we were tootling along, almost home, Molly was snoozing, Mummy singing. Luckily I had my glasses on because everything was looking pretty mucky and brown, but then I spied the wall of mud across the road, it took me a second or two to realise that I wasn't going to be able to drive over this one! I don't know the alternative routes home, over the hills and back lanes, etc... oh well, there's always a first time eh?

There's no greater incentive to sort out that emergency supplies box then being reminded that we could very easily be cut-off over here. So next time you're looking in my freezer or larder don't laugh at the enormous amounts of bread and baked beans I have there!!

1 Comments:

Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

I wondered if you could get through and I was hoping it happened before Kris went to work so he could have a day at home with you both.

The weather sounds horrid, our tennants have said there is a continuous lake where our lawn used to be!

3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home