17 October 2006

Wild about wildlife!

We made the most of a glorious weekend and went to Orana Park on Saturday - thank goodness we did, last night I was rehashing my plans for the ark we're gonna build if this rain keeps up, seriously I thought the roof was coming off, either that or we'd be flooded out from the amount of rain coming down both the chimneys... scary! Add to that the most tremendous thunder storm and we were laughing, not!

Anyway, current weather aside, we had the best time. I'm not really a big fan of zoos, caging animals for our viewing pleasure is generally something that leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. But this one is a bit different, the animals have lots and lots of room, and seem relatively content (well, apart from the lions, but then I'm not sure I would now what a contented lion looked like really. Hmmm, full and bloody I would think?!).

Most importantly Molly loved it, this (photo) was the look she kept up for most of the day. I've never seen anyone get so excited about giraffes before, very cute. We should have visited here before, she does seem to love looking at animals, she goes berserk at Willowbank - which is great until we get to the kiwi house. 'Molly shhhh' is something that she selectively understands, and in a dark and spooky forest she gets more then a bit exciteable as you can imagine!

That said, she gets fairly worked up about animals and bugs on the TV too. Just recently there has been an advert that features kids playing with a snail (gross!), she thinks it's just hilarious. Let's hope this enthusiasm extends to the inevitable plague of ants that will visit our kitchen in just a few short weeks - I have bait traps ready to fill (evil, insect killing mummy!).

A good time was had by all, lets hope that's not the end of our good weather for the year.

1 Comments:

Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

Days like that one are what life is all about, dont ya reakon? I love their appetite for life and adventure. Mind you a sudden interest in blow flies is trying to be quashed at present.

I need your evil killing ways up here as never in all my days have I seen so many ants. Friggin plague, I am reminded of a particular episode of a MacGyver that involved cunning red ants. His remedy, an industrial flame thrower, well I do need one for Cream Brulee!

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home