07 November 2006

Waaaaaaaah Cicada!

I finally got round to looking at the laundry basket overflowing with ironing today (well, it has been about a week since I dared too). I took a deep breath and dove (dived?) in, the first item to come out, duly shaken and pulled onto the board contained a HUGE cicada! I mean almost 3 inches long! still alive and very, very cross with me! It buzzed as it sat on the leg of my sweatpants and shook - me that is, not the bloody insect! Oh My God! FREAK OUT! I calmly grabbed one of Molly's bibs and encased the cicada inside, dropping it quickly out the backdoor, all the time smiling at Moo - don't want to indoctrinate her with my insect fear and loathing at such a young age - then using rubber gloves and not looking too hard I tipped the rest of the laundry back into the machine, hit go and walked away. Hubby will remove it for me this evening and ensure there are no more interlopers... and the lesson I learned is, shake well when removing from the washing line, check basket for buzzy things as soon as you get it inside and do as little ironing as possible!

It's sad to admit that this was not in fact the most exciting (read terrifying) thing that happened to me today. The most terrifying was being in sole charge of three tots this afternoon, luckily only for a few hours, but still. A 2 and a half year old, Molly (almost 17 months) and a 7 month old. What was I thinking?!? Well, clearly I wasn't. But you know it wasn't actually as bad as I anticipated as their Mum walked away (grinning I might add). No severe injuries were inflicted, unless you count a good wallop on the nose with the phone - my nose, Molly's mistake, maybe?! -that made me stop for a moment or two. It's all good though, swelling is going down and I'll know to duck next time eh.

Anyway, we survived and it was good fun, in retrospect... now I have my feet up and a cup of tea and Molly is in bed that is.

While I'm here better tell you about Molly's first kayaking adventure this weekend. No, don't panic, we didn't set her up with oars and let her go, but we did get her sat in the thing with Daddy. She loved it, so much so in fact that as he paddled away she decide to give chase and before I could stop her she was chest high in the water (very cold water I might add!) and trying to keep going! I eventually coaxed her out of the water, which was really not easy. Her swimming lessons have taken away any fear of the water which is good, but also terrifying for us. But she was content to run along the shore occassionally shouting Dada! and waving manically. Funny little thing.

2 Comments:

Blogger Domestic Goddess said...

We has a similar experience at the beach last weekend, do they not feel the cold!

As for those cicadas.........oh yes we have a long history as in Nelson they were an infestation and more often than not I would be the mad woman bashing the crap out of the trees outside the bedroom window in my pj's at odd times of the morning. Possibly being payed back for feeding their babies to the cat.................she loves them

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jules said...

I guess not, either that or we're just being complete wusses, I don't know...

I know! they're so noisy. I wonder if I can persuade Phoebe to eat them?

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home